To Althea, From Prison.

January 08, 2011 § 0



When love with unconfined wings
Hovers within my gates,
And my divine Althea brings
To whisper at the grates;
When I lie tangled in her hair,
And fettered to her eye,
The birds that wanton in the air
Know no such liberty.

When flowing cups run swiftly round
With no allaying Thames,
Our careless heads with roses bound,
Our hearts with loyal flames;
When thirsty grief in wine we steep,
When healths and draughts go free,
Fishes that tipple in the deep
Know no such liberty.

When, like committed linnets, I
With shriller throat shall sing
The sweetness, mercy, majesty,
And glories of my King;
When I shall voice aloud how good

He is, how great should be,
Enlarged winds that curl the flood
Know no such liberty.

Stone walls do not a prison make,
Nor iron bars a cage;
Minds innocent and quiet take
That for an hermitage;
If I have freedom in my love,
And in my soul am free,
Angels alone, that soar above,
Enjoy such liberty.





This is one of my favourites from Richard Lovelace. The most appropriate theme I could think of is ; Freedom. Precisely, freedom of thinking. It was stated that he wrote this poem while still being in prison. From the 1st paragraph he implied of imagining 'Althea' whom I suppose was, his lover. His mind was completely free, although he was confined in a prison. In some way, this poem gave off the aura of inner freedom, which every being yearns for. At least, it is what I desire for myself.

"No one can 'imprison' or enslave the human mind."


What I can't really understand is some people choose to be prisoners of their own thoughts. What a pity that is, not being able to feel freedom within themselves. Too many questions popped in my head ; how do they cope with their inner consciousness, did they ever tried talking to themselves, or they are just living in denial all this while? Is it painful to choose to live that way? They are telling lies straight to their face, isnt it hypocritical to do such a thing?And they ruin white ; the original color of life.

I'm still waiting.
Waiting for them to wake up from their denial nightmare.


All of it is a choice. Heck, its OUR choice.
And after choosing, in the end we find freedom.

Believe me, when you change your mind... you unconsciously change your life.
But remember just one thing ; change it for yourself.

If I were to sigh after making those choices ; it'll either be interpreted as a sigh of regret or a sigh of self-satisfaction.
And I prefer the latter.




by Yon Yusuff.
immersed in reading ; 3am.

p/s : I'm not preaching about anything here, just a mere unanswered question that had been running in my head since forever. Of course, sometimes I strayed from the actual path as well... like what other idiots do. But I'm sane enough to adapt quickly to the situation I threw myself into and turned back my heels on the pavement to search my way back. And sometimes I make wrong turns when I confront the infamously dangerous diverged road, screaming "Choose." I hate it as well. But making decisions is a part of living, and it is surely important to make choices based on our own instincts. Be it right or wrong, I chose it myself to be that way. There's no one to blame but me. There's no one to praise but me. It's all just me being me.

What's this?

You are currently reading To Althea, From Prison. at Yon Yusuff.

meta